Ten tips for organising Christmas shopping
At 11Onze we have given you ideas on how to avoid impulse buying, how to give gifts of solidarity, how to innovate with company gifts and how to give a boost to local producers, but we have not yet given you tips on how to organise your shopping without falling into excessive consumerism. Here are ten ideas.
The most important thing this Christmas season is not to get carried away by excess. If you don’t want to lose your head in this consumerist maelstrom, planning is the key. In addition, good organisation will prevent you from feeling anxious about not being able to keep up with the long-distance race that is Christmas. Here are some tips on how to manage your shopping and avoid overspending.
- Make a list. The first and most important thing is to make a list so that you know exactly who you have to give gifts to. At this point, it is essential to negotiate a little in advance and with a lot of empathy with family and friends: is it necessary to give gifts to everyone? Should they be limited to just the children? Who wants to participate in this year’s Secret Santa?
- Prepare a budget. Once we are clear about our list, set a minimum and maximum budget that we can spend this festive season. In this budget, you should include not only the cost of gifts, but also the cost of lunches and dinners and Christmas decorations.
- Limit spending for each person. With a detailed budget, a smart strategy is to set a spending amount for each person. That grandparents deserve to spend more than on Secret Santa is a no-brainer, but setting an amount can help us to stay on track.
- Be clear about everyone’s wishes. Now that we have our budget down to the millimetre, it is time to sound out the wishes of those we are going to give gifts to. Discreetly ask around, note down everyone’s tastes and hobbies and imagine what each person might be looking forward to. In this case, it is also important to think about innovation and, for this reason, it is a good idea to consider alternative gifts, solidarity or proximity gifts.
- Compare before you buy. The Consumers and Users Organisation advises that, before buying, we should always compare several shops. Sometimes, especially during the Christmas holidays, some products are sold with discounts, but in the end the promotion is not as advantageous as we thought.
- Buy online, but with confidence. Christmas is a good time to save time and effort in physical shops and opt for online shopping, and with the virtual 11Onze Card we make it easy for you! Even so, always do it in trusted shops, because if you don’t, you could be left with your nose to the grindstone just before Christmas.
- Don’t rule out the outlets. If you want to save a bit more, but you don’t want to give up quality, maybe you can check if your favourite shop has an outlet franchise where you can get a piece of clothing or an accessory with a little discount because it’s not strictly seasonal. In the outlets you can find good bargains!
- Don’t leave everything to the last minute. As we have warned at La Plaça, this year, with the supply crisis due to the pandemic, it is more important than ever to get a head start on Christmas shopping and not leave everything to the last minute. There is also a psychological component to the tranquillity of shopping without haste.
- Wrap sustainably. As you buy gifts, wrap them. That way, in the early hours of Christmas or Epiphany, you won’t have to be alone making packages by candlelight. You can also use sustainable materials, such as brown paper, string or spruce or holly branches. And remember to put the person’s name on the label.
- Enjoy at your own pace. And finally, even if at times you feel like a fairy-tale miser, don’t forget to enjoy yourself. If you have the time, you can even do the exercise of putting into words how you feel about that person and handing over the gift with a letter. Buying gifts for someone you love is a nice way to say thank you for the love, companionship and support of family and friends.
11Onze is the community fintech of Catalonia. Open an account by downloading the super app El Canut for Android or iOS and join the revolution!
If you liked this article, we recommend you read:
Catalan market and shopping online3 min read
During the Christmas holidays we are likely to resort to online
Gràcies per aquest llistat de consells👍👏👏👏
Gràcies a tu, Jordi, per ser-hi i per seguir-nos!!!
Moltes gràcies per les teves paraules, Joaquim!!!
No es mereixen. Moltes gràcies a tu, Manuel!!!
Bons consells per no caure en els excessos consumistes i sobretot fer els regals amb il·lusió.
Gràcies pel teu comentari Francesc. Seguim endavant!
Moltes gràcies, Josep!!!
Bons consells ,,gràcies
Gràcies pel teu comentari Alícia!