How to prevent burglary during the holidays
Catalonia suffers a high rate of home burglaries, a problem that worsens during holiday periods. Gemma Vallet, director of 11Onze District, reminds us of the most important tips to protect our homes correctly or minimise the consequences in the event of a burglary.
Fortunately, home burglaries were reduced by 23% during the pandemic, but the Mossos d’Esquadra have been warning for some months of an increase, which could be accentuated during the holiday period. Moreover, it should be borne in mind, as Gemma Vallet points out, that Catalonia “leads the ranking of thefts” in Spain.
According to data from insurance companies, the average value of thefts is 800 euros and the municipalities with the highest value stolen in each incident are Girona and Sant Cugat del Vallès. As for shops, the most affected are those in Reus, Mataró and Lleida.
Guidelines to avoid unpleasant surprises
The director of 11Onze District offers a series of tips to protect yourself from theft or minimise its consequences:
- Leave objects of more material or sentimental value in a safe place.
- Install an alarm.
- Check all accesses, doors and windows, as burglars are increasingly using more elaborate systems to gain access to homes.
- Be discreet about your absence, being careful about what you post on social media, as this can alert burglars to your location.
- Ask someone to visit the home regularly, collect correspondence and check that nothing unusual is going on.
- Do not leave messages on the answering machine indicating that you are away.
- If you hear any noise or detect the presence of a stranger, alert the Mossos d’Esquadra immediately, without confronting them.
- If you have taken out insurance, make an inventory of your property so that you can claim the corresponding compensation in the event of theft.
In addition to theft, Gemma Vallet warns that it is advisable to take measures to avoid problems with windows and water and electricity installations during your holiday absence.
If you want to discover fair insurance for your home and for society, check 11Onze Segurs.
If you liked this article, we recommend you read:
Tips for a more sustainable summer holiday3 min read
Price, sustainability, location, and awareness.
Protect your home during the holidays3 min read
Summer is coming and many people are already starting to