The fourth falcidia: how to insure an inheritance?

When we inherit, we are often concerned about the legal and tax consequences. Sometimes, once all the legacies have been distributed, the main heir is left with a remainder so low that it does not even reach the minimum that the law recognises. That is why, in Catalonia, the heir can claim the fourth falcidia or minimum inheritance quota. Agent 11Onze Jordi Coll summarises what this consists of.

 

Coll explains that the fourth falcidia, also known as the minimum inheritance quota, is regulated by article 427.40 of the Inheritance Code of Catalonia. It is a legal figure whose purpose is to guarantee the heir a minimum share of the inheritance, at least a quarter of the estate, when this is disproportionately encumbered by legacies or by rights in rem, such as mortgages or other assets.

Imagine, for example, that there are many beneficiaries in an estate and the main heir, with so many legacies to be distributed, realises that he or she will have almost nothing left. In this case, the heir is entitled to the fourth falcidia, i.e. he or she has the right to secure a quarter of the inheritance, even if this means reducing the inheritance of the other beneficiaries a little. The fourth falcidia is, therefore, a guarantee offered by Catalan law.

“If the heir sees that what has been left to him or her in inheritance does not cover 25% of the 75% of the inherited assets, he or she can claim the fourth falcidia. The other 25% is for the corresponding legitimacy rights of the persons to be inherited, whether or not they are the same heir or heirs,” the agent explains. Thus, the fourth falcidia acts as a limiter of the testator’s powers. This protects the principal heir and prevents him from having to renounce the inheritance for a small bequest.

Even so, it must be borne in mind that, if he or she accepts it, he or she will not only have to assume the responsibility for the payment of the bequests or legitimate, among other burdens, but, in the event that there is any debt of the testator, he or she will also have to take care of it. Therefore, before accepting an inheritance laden with legacies and obligations, it is necessary for a legal expert to carry out a study to assess whether it is really worth it. In this sense, the fourth estate provides some certainty that the heir will be able to pay all these expenses.

Do you want to know what requirements have to be met to be able to claim the fourth falcidia and how it is calculated? Just watch the video below!

11Onze is the fintech community of Catalonia. Open an account by downloading the super app El Canut on Android and Apple and join the revolution!

If you liked this article, we recommend you read:

Finances

How does inheritance work in Catalonia?

4 min read

We solve all doubts in this quick guide to the inheritance process.

Economy

How much will I pay in 2022 for a home?

3 min read

This 2022 comes with fiscal changes in the purchase of real

Culture

Paying for death: the funeral business

4 min read

It is difficult for us to talk about death, but it is even more



Equip Editorial Equip Editorial
  1. FRANCESC SUMSIFRANCESC SUMSI says:
    FRANCESC

    Moltes gràcies per explicar-ho, no ho coneixia

    • Joan BenedictoJoan Benedicto says:
      Joan

      Sempre estem encantats d’informar de coses útils. Gràcies a tu per seguir-nos!

      5 months ago
  2. Francesc Estafanell PujolFrancesc Estafanell Pujol says:
    Francesc

    És bo de saber. Gràcies

    • Jennifer Roca Civit says:

      Molt contents que t’agradi, Francesc! Ens veiem per la Plaça

      5 months ago
  3. Josep RuaixJosep Ruaix says:
  4. Vicenç ClascàVicenç Clascà says:
    Vicenç

    Moltes gràcies per l’explicació.

  5. alicia Coiduras Charlesalicia Coiduras Charles says:
    alicia

    Ben explicat gràcies Jordi

  6. Daniela SimónDaniela Simón says:
  7. Joan Santacruz CarlúsJoan Santacruz Carlús says:

Leave a Reply

App Store Google Play